Sunday, April 13, 2014

Social Media: It's more than Facebook


It was not until 2009 that I joined the world of Facebook. It was created in 2004 as a social networking site for Harvard students to connect. Though it initially began as a social networking site for college students, by 2006 it had extended to anyone with a valid email address. For the common person, Facebook and other social networking platforms are how many identify social media. Honestly, not many years ago, when I heard the words “social media,” I, too, thought of Facebook. Social media has revolutionized so many areas of our professional and personal territories, in spite of how fairly new it is. Social media has become so popular that it is now the number one activity on the web (Cooper, 2013, para. 12). Social media is so much more than Facebook.

What is social media really?
Is social media just for fun? To simply update our statuses, share content, and find out what others are up to? Absolutely not! It is so much more; and, to define it as such would put limitations on all that social media is and all that it can do. Social media is the use of websites and applications to network and interact with people as a means of sharing and exchanging information. It is how we communicate through the online community. Although the majority of people think of social media as only a fun, virtual hangout, it is so much more. And, using social media has real-world consequences that many have not even considered. From its beginnings until now, social media includes, but is not limited to, Myspace, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest, LinkedIn, and even blogs. It is closely linked to social networking.


A New Conversation
Social media has created a new conversation in our online world. This new conversation challenges traditional mediums and creates so many grand opportunities for people all over. As a social media user, I benefit from the advantages that various multimedia platforms and networking sites provide. The social network environment allows real-time interaction among users and moves content around the world via the World Wide Web.


A Business Revolution
According to a survey taken by Harvard Business Review Analytic Services (2010), nearly two-thirds of the 2,100 participating companies said they are either “currently using social media channels or have social media plans in the works” (para. 2). Still, only a small percent of those who use social media feel that they are effectively doing so. While a large number of companies have jumped onboard with the idea of integrating social media into their business strategy, some still express resistance to it because of the challenge of keeping professional and personal separate.

So many businesses have incorporated social media into their marketing activities as an effective global promotional strategy; as social marketing. It has become a valuable communication tool for companies and their customers. Companies are engaging with customers, sharing new products and services, sending messages, and receiving feedback right on creative multimedia platforms. Customers are interacting with companies, sharing reviews, and recommending and criticizing products or services.

Use it to Your Advantage
Social media brings the benefits of awareness, exposure, and engagement. You can complete some do-it-yourself projects, get a new job or change careers, and start your own business. There are endless ways to use social media to our advantage, and I have shared a few here.

Do-It-Yourself Projects (DIY)
DIY projects are becoming more and more popular. Multimedia platforms, such as YouTube, have made it possible for us to learn to do just about any and everything on our own. Decorating tutorials, sewing tutorials, reupholstering tutorials, cooking tutorials, hair styling tutorials, and the list goes on. You name it, and I’m sure you’ll find it.

Personally, social media has saved me lots of money on a hair stylists. Not long ago, I could not braid hair for anything. I know, I’m a female; I should know how to braid, right? Not the case. Fortunately, with the help of YouTube, I became my own hair stylist. Using video tutorials, I taught myself how to style, cut, and braid my own hair (and my daughters). All because of social media!

Land a Job
Social media is commonly used to network with others and advance ourselves professionally. I have made a number of valuable connections through a common social network for the business community, known as LinkedIn. Because of LinkedIn’s vast database of professionals, companies are joining to qualified candidates and establish professional relationships with others. It is used as a platform to showcase individuals’ skills, abilities, and education; and for employers to post job opportunities.






Start and Grow a Business 
How many times have you considered starting your own business? Starting a business that reaches a broader audience has become much easier over the years. Social media is one of the reasons. It is a great way to market, and social media marketing allows business owners (and potential business owners) to share and save money on marketing and other upfront costs. Social media helps to increase brand awareness. If consumers like what you offer, they might just “share” it, “tweet” it, or “pin it.” You might even get a favorable review on YouTube.  Social media is used to influence consumer behaviors. You will be amazed at how you can use social media to grow your business from the ground up.

As a strategic communicator, I watch with excitement to see where social media will take us. It has already brought us so far, in a very short time. Social media has provided us with new ways to communicate and interact. It’s revolutionizing our world as we know it. It’s more than Twitter. It’s more than YouTube. It’s more than Pinterest.

It’s more than Facebook.

I’m glad you visited my blog site this week. Remember to visit back every week at www.myworldofcomm.blogspot.com. You can also subscribe to receive my blogs by entering your email at the top right corner. If you have any feedback or questions, don’t hesitate to comment.


References
Cooper, B. (2013). 10 surprising social media statistics that will make you rethink your social strategy. Retrieved from http://www.fastcompany.com/3021749/work-smart/10-surprising-social-media-statistics-that-will-make-you-rethink-your-social-stra

Harvard Business Review Analytic Services (2010). The new conversation: taking social media from talk to action. Retrieved from http://www.sas.com/resources/whitepaper/wp_23348.pdf

1 comment:

  1. Greetings Janice,
    Your blog post was an easy and refreshing read. You brought up many valid points regarding our initial perceptions of the phrase “social media.” I suppose many people think of the casual social aspects, such as the updating of the Facebook status, as you mentioned. I am thrilled that you discussed the other heavy hitters of social media like Pinterest (my favorite), LinkedIn, and YouTube. I have never used Twitter and Facebook changes its format far too often for me to keep up consistently, so I tend to prefer the “seek and ye shall find” SNS, in an effort to maximize my time and to really get things done! I love the whole DIY craze because it brings us back to being crafty, like previous generations. I have found a myriad of homeschooling, toddler crafts, recipes, decorating ideas and more on Pinterest, Instructables, and Allrecipies. I can relate to the hair thing and YouTube because I have also sought out new styles for natural hair via this platform. The fact that YouTube has a video format offers us access to hands on instruction for free. Another social media platform that we often forget about are the online or app games. My daughter just introduced me to an app called QuizUp where you compete against a friend or a total stranger in a topic of your choice. I deleted my app games a while back when I realized that I had no time for Scramble With Friends or Draw Something. I decided to try this new game the other day and it was really fun. I tested my skills on subjects like snacks, math, fruits and vegetables; with total strangers around the world. As a busy mother of 5, student and entrepreneur I have witness the value of SNS first hand with tasks such as spying...oh, I meant keeping up with my children, promoting my business, finding a new dinner recipe and collaborating with classmates. I must say, that I am one of the more trepidatious business owners when it comes to fully utilizing SNS. I have to take baby steps at this point.
    Take care,
    Alisha Brown

    ReplyDelete