Sunday, March 30, 2014

My Journey and The Evolution of Digital Technology

This week, I’d like to share with you how digital technology and converged media has evolved over the years. I’m going to take you on a short journey through the last decade and a half of my life, with the hopes of showing you how technology has been influential to me. So, come on. Let’s go!

During my junior year in high school, I applied for my first job as a cashier at McDonald’s. Online application process? Not exactly. The local McDonald’s had no online application process at that time. It was all done the traditional way; a pen and paper application. Can you recall your first job and its application process? Perhaps you remember how much more time the application process took back then. For organizations, the advances in technology have been very beneficial, as well. Rather than searching through piles of print applications, they can search key terms to narrow down qualified applicants. As applicants, we are able to create accounts, search for jobs, read job descriptions, complete applications, submit resumes and supporting documents, and even initiate background checks all online. And now, many employers have made the online application process extremely interactive and personalized.

Moving right along…..

Within a few years, by the age of 18, I had my first child. Enjoying a “college life” with friends, rooming in the dorms, and attending college parties was out of the picture for me. Honestly, even attempting college seemed to be out of reach because I now had the responsibility of taking care of my son, which was an absolute blessing. At first, I tried to fit in a class here and there at the local community college when I had the time. Fortunately, I was soon able to take hybrid courses (a course combining online and face-to-face instruction), televised courses, and online courses as the college made them available. To my advantage, course management systems were being developed and utilized for more efficient course interactions. Virtual learning environments were being created for distance learning experiences. Universities were now recording and archiving the class lecture experiences enabling students to learn more and more in non-traditional settings. Textbooks were not only offered in print, but also in audio formats and as eBooks. As time passed and as technology advanced, universities began to offer degree programs 100% online. This was the turning point in which getting my degree actually became an attainable reality for me. Without having to step foot into the university (which is absolutely fine for those who are able), I shopped the online universe to select a school that would be a good fit for me. College ratings and student reviews that are available in the vast amounts of information online came in handy for me.


In 2012, I was able to obtain my Bachelor’s degree. Was obtaining my undergraduate degree a challenge? Of course! Life in itself is a challenge, and digital technology and media convergence has not taken the challenge out of reaching some of our life’s goals. It has, however, brought the efficiency of modality, time, and cost within reach. Technology has afforded me opportunities that at one time in my life seemed impossible, and it has done the same for billions of others in the world. Every minute of my time is important, and it is great to know that I have saved countless hours by taking advantage of virtual learning environments rather than juggling heavy textbooks from class to class, sitting in classroom lectures, having face-to-face team discussions, or even driving to and from the university. No more long lines for registering and paying for classes for me. Technology and the convergence of media has made it possible to use my laptop to review course lectures in text, audio, and video; take quizzes and exams online; communicate with classmates via email, in the class chat rooms, or using Skype; and complete all of my program requirements online with my little ones sitting right next to me, if I so choose.

Who says you can’t be a busy spouse, parent, or working adult and further your education? It is definitely possible, and I am evidence of that. However, not too long ago, with our past technological infrastructures, this may not have been the case. The evolution of digital technology and media convergence has made and is making the seemingly impossible—possible. The online capabilities that are now available in higher education have enabled a vast number of people to obtain their degrees; stay-at-home or busy parents, full-time employees, soldiers, individuals with physical disabilities, and those living abroad.

Not only has digital technology and media impacted higher education, it has been instrumental in our world of entertainment, transportation, and communication; it has opened up job opportunities for many; it has enabled distant relatives and friends to reunite; and it ultimately has provided an epic level of convenience in our lives. Technology has definitely made my life as a wife, mom, student, and even as a military family much easier. Being away from family and friends can be hard on a little old southern girl who had never left the south, let alone leaving behind family and friends.

And, although life seems to be so full and occupied, I always have time for family and friends, and technology has made it that much easier to connect and share. Honestly, I possibly would not be able to connect as much as I do if it were not for what technology has become today. A few years ago, after my husband joined the military, our family relocated over 1500 miles away from family and friends; away from the place we know as home, Texas. Through the development of social networks, such as Myspace, Facebook, and Twitter, I have been able to view and share messages, videos, pictures, and more all on single platforms.  It has helped me stay connected with family, reunite with those that I had not talked to in years, and has even enabled me to meet new friends.

So, you have learned a little more about me this week, and thanks so much for reading. Hopefully this blog has allowed you to see some of how the evolution of technology and media convergence has become an influential part of my journey. Feel free to follow my blog by entering your email at the top right, or visit back next week for more on "My World of Communication" at www.myworldofcomm.blogspot.com.




2 comments:

  1. Dear Janice,
    I really enjoyed reading your story about how technology has impacted your life and how its influence has been able to have such positive effects. For me I have a similar journey. I remember one of my first jobs at a Delchamps' Grocery and I also filled out the application in a very traditional style using pen and paper, trying my best to put all the information in the allotted space.
    When I went to college, I was exposed to more work on the computer but nothing to the levels that they are now and it was surprisingly only ten years ago. We used Photoshop and auto-cad programs for graphic arts and architectural designs. But it was after college that technology for me truly exploded. I first went to Tokyo, Japan and believe it or not. I remember in 2004 that we were using text messaging and other messaging services to contact each other. This was almost a full year and half before it took off in the States. I remember talking to pretty technologically savvy friend and explaining to them that I don't really talk on the phone I send a short message and then we know where to meet. The way that items evolved so quickly is intriguing and the way that convergence will impact an average life is quite eye opening.
    Even in my personal life, I was able to find my partner through the internet and if not, there would have been no chance that we would have been able to have met each other. I was living in Korea and he was living in Spain. Without the internet and the way that it has infiltrated my daily life itself, I would not have been able to have the life I do today. I live in Madrid and I’m doing my Master’s degree from a university in Alabama across an entire ocean. We just found a new apartment in an area that we never pass because we found it on the internet. My parents this evening, from a living room in Pace, Florida, talked to their son and son-in-law through a free service. Convergence is amazingly a simple cycle and what really is exciting is just how easy it is and transition through if you have a willing public who is ready for it.
    Sincerely,
    Christopher Nelson
    P.S. = Thank you so much for the warm response that I got from you on my first posting. For this interactive assignment I went to your blog first! I’m glad you liked my writing style. I’m trying to branch into more creative ways for writing and I thought this major would be better than a creative degree. But I decided to try to do creative writing through a class in NYC; once again an example of convergence in my daily life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Chris. I really appreciate the comment, and for sharing a little of your story, as well. Wish you the best!

      Delete